Let’s see, what did we accomplish in 2012?
- An awesome production of Twelfth Night
- An awesome production of Macbeth
- An awesome production of A Christmas Carol
- An awesome new web site with blog
- Two awesome weekends of workshops with Scott Handy of the RSC
- An awesome evening meeting with Julie Eccles of CalShakes, followed by a trip to see an awesome production of Hamlet
- An awesome $5,000+ fundraiser with Whole Foods Market
- Three awesome cast parties
- A few awesome pizza parties
What am I forgetting?
Anyway, here’s to more general awesomeness in 2013, our 10th anniversary year!
Scott Handy is a professional actor known for a long stage, TV, and movie career that includes many seasons with the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC). Most recently, he appeared as Ulysses in Troilus and Cressida, as Antonio in The Merchant of Venice (alongside Patrick Stewart as Shylock), and as Ross in Macbeth. We asked Mr. Handy if he could possibly visit us and help us with one of our future productions. The result was a wonderful experience; Scott spent two weekends in San Jose in May of 2012, working not only with our Twelfth Night cast but also with about 20 other members of our company who were not in this particular show.
Scott’s influence on our organization was deeply felt from the first day. Everyone was impressed with his skill and insight as an actor and director—especially the parents of the cast members, many of whom thoroughly enjoyed watching him work with the kids on the interpretation and delivery of Shakespeare’s verse. In fact, in Mr. Handy we have found a kindred spirit and a good soul who sincerely understands and appreciates what we are trying to do. He commented many times during his stay on how we have created not just a theatre company but a culture and a community around Shakespeare that he has rarely seen before in his professional career. It was an inspiring and exhilarating couple of weeks leading up to the show, and we think a little bit of Mr. Handy’s brilliance shone through in the performances. We look forward to inviting him back again sometime soon.